7.03.2014

Staff Picks Highlighted: Sandy's Shelf

I think that I was first introduced to the term "weird fiction" through Neil Gaiman's blog, which isn't surprising, as his novels fit right into that category. What's weird fiction? Well, my understanding of the genre is that it helps to classify fiction that has elements of the supernatural and/or of fantasy, sci-fi, or horror, but doesn't fit neatly under any of those labels. Looking over my staff picks shelf recently, I realized that I have a lot of weird fiction in the mix.

Last year, The Golem and the Jinni captured my heart, with its combination of history and fantasy, and I have recommended it to many readers without one being disappointed in this excellent story. The City and the City, by China Mieville is another fascinating read, in which the murder mystery that drives the plot is almost secondary to the world in which two cities are layered, sharing the same space but unable to interact. Neil Gaiman, of course, makes several appearances on my shelf, including my top Gaiman novel, Neverwhere, an Alice in Wonderland styled tale in which an average fellow is drawn into the strange and sometimes darkly magical world of "London Below."

A Tale for the Time Being could be called literary fiction, but some hints of supernatural forces at work place it on the outer edges of weird fiction. Contemplation of Buddhist teachings and meditation give the reader even more to think about in this story of two women separated in time and place but brought together by the pages of a journal that washes ashore on a small Canadian island.

While I don't limit my reading to the fantastical, I definitely lean more toward fiction than non-fiction, and if you ask me to recommend my current favorite novel, I might hand you The Tilted World, which just came out in paperback. This prohibition-era novel brings together great writing, great characters, and a plot that mounts in tension alongside the rising waters of the Mississippi River.


I might also point you toward Amy Falls Down if you're looking for a humorous read, or The Rosie Project for a bit of light reading with some romance for the summer.

And, of course, there are children's books. In addition to having a three year-old at home, I am lucky to be the children's book buyer for the store, and so reading children's books is truly part of my job. The Odd One Out is actually on Diane's shelf, but I love this adorable "spot the difference" picture book for little ones. Ditto Paul Meets Bernadette, a beautiful book in both text and illustrations. For older youth reading, perennial favorites are The Mysterious Benedict Society, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, The Knife of Never Letting Go, and Eleanor & Park.

Could I keep on listing? Oh, yes, I really could, but instead I'll invite you to come in and take a look at our staff picks for yourself. And while you're here, please share your own favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment