2.04.2014

Radiance & Please Take Our Survey!

First of all please, if you have not done it yet, take our survey!  

And now… Radiance of Tomorrow by Ishmael Beah...


I picked this up the other day and read the first few pages.  I can't wait to sink  my teeth into this one.  Here's what got me:

…The places I come from have such righ languages, such a variety of expression.  In Sierra Leone we have about fifteen languages and three dialects.  I grew up speaking about seven of them.  My mother tongue, Mende, is very expressive, very figurative, and when I write, I always struggle to find the English equivalent of things that I really want to say in Mende.  For example, in Mende, you wouldn't say "night came suddenly"; you would say "the sky rolled over and changed its sides."  Even single words are this way  -- the word for "ball" in Mende translates to a "nest of air" or a "vessel that carries air."

If I express such things in written English the language takes on a kind of new mode… When I started writing this novel, I wanted to introduce all these things to my work.  They are part of what makes language come alive for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment