4.10.2009

Poetry Month Round-up

Image from WikipediaThey shut me up in Prose-
As when a little Girl
They put me in the Closet-
Because they like me "still"-


Still! Could themself have peeped-
And seen my Brain-go round-
They might as wise have lodged a Bird
For Treason-in the Pound-


Himself has but to will
And easy as a Star
Abolish his Captivity-
And laugh- No more have I


Poem by Emily Dickinson, from emilydickinson.org.


April is National Poetry Month, as you may know. Though I won't be writing a poem a day or reviewing books of poems myself, I'm pleased to be able to
direct you to towards some of the other blogs and websites that are taking part in the month's celebrations.

A Year of Reading is featuring reviews of poetry books and posts about various poetry related events all month.

The Imaginary Blog finds groan-worthy entertainment value in terrible poems with the Bad Poetry Friday series. My favorite, so far, is from the 7-Imp bloggers: "The Critic, the Coffee, and the Cinquain: a Poet's Revenge"

Internationally, Poetry Month gets attention from the Canadians and Brits.

Raven's Eye asks poets to write a poem a day.

Betsy Bird shares a wonderfully funny poem: "How Doth The Glib Librarian"

NASCAR fans like poetry, too.

Publishers join the fray:  Knopf will send you a poem a day, W.W. Norton features Poems Out Loud, and Gale offers numerous resources for teachers, students, and other poetry lovers.

A couple of blogs with more complete round-ups:

Semicolon

Poetry for Children

A Wrung Sponge

Go beyond one month of poetry and explore the community of poets (no silly white mustache required) at gotpoetry?

2 comments: